The Ministry of Education, Universities and Research, in Italian: Ministero dell’Istruzione, dell’Università e della Ricerca, or MIUR, is the ministry of the Italian government for the national education system, the Italian universities and research. It is currently headed by Stefania Giannini. The Ministry of Education and Research (MIUR) has 3 Departments:
- Department for School Education;
- Department for Universities, for Higher Education in the Arts, Music and Singing, and for Research;
- Department for the Planning and Management of Human, Financial and Instrumental Resources
Each Department comprises 4 Directorates General. For the school education sector, the Ministry relies on its subsidiary regional bodies, or Regional Education Authorities (REA), in order to:
- implement national school policy at regional level, and support the organisational, teaching and research flexibility of schools foreseen within school autonomy,
- ensure that schools respect the general norms and essential performance levels established by policy,
- ensure that the different levels of schooling are properly implemented, planned standards are met and the education provided is effective.
The mission of the Ministry in Europe is focused on Integration of the European and international dimensions into education and training policies at the national, regional and local levels; implementation of the National Operational Programmes for development and cohesion.